JOSH J.T. BYRNE, a partner with the Philadelphia office’s professional liability group, is licensed to practice in state and federal courts in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. His clients include Westport Insurance Company, St. Paul Fire & Marine Insurance Company, Minnesota Lawyer’s Mutual Insurance Company, CNA, Arch Insurance Company and Drexel University College of Medicine. Mr. Byrne concentrates on the representation of professionals in a variety of matters.
Mr. Byrne is the Chair of the Pennsylvania Bar Association’s Professional Liability Committee and Co-Chair of the Philadelphia Bar Association’s Professional Guidance Committee. Mr. Byrne is also a Hearing Committee Member serving the Disciplinary Board of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania. He speaks throughout Pennsylvania on malpractice avoidance. Mr. Byrne has been recognized as a “Super Lawyer Rising Star,” and has been rated as an AV “Preeminent” lawyer by his peers in Martindale-Hubbell.
Mr. Byrne graduated with a dual major in Political Science and Japanese Studies from Earlham College in Richmond, IN. After college, Mr. Byrne worked for two years as a coordinator for international relations in Chiba, Japan.
He obtained his J.D. from Rutgers University, where he earned a Recognition of Excellence in the Domestic Violence Program and was a Moot Court Semi Finalist (Top Ten Brief). Following graduation from law school, Mr. Byrne worked for two years in the honors program of the Department of Justice as a law clerk for administrative law judges.
Mr. Byrne is a regular contributor to Swartz Campbell’s professional liability blog. Mr. Byrne is also the author of a reoccurring column in The Legal Intelligencer on professional liability issues.
Mr. Byrne serves as a Zone One delegate to the Pennsylvania Bar Association’s House of Delegates.
- 2000 Pennsylvania
- 1998 New Jersey
- 1997 Rutgers University Camden, NJ J.D.
- 1992 Earlham College Richmond, IN B.A. Political Science & Japanese Studies
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Middle District of Pennsylvania
- Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- District of New Jersey
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Byrne, Josh J.T. (2015). Roundup of This Year’s Significant Advisory Ethics Opinions. The Legal Intelligencer.
- Byrne, Josh J.T. (2014). Whether Clients Can Assign Legal Malpractice Actions. The Legal Intelligencer.
- Byrne, Josh J.T. (2013). Termination for Wrongful Use of Civil Proceedings Purposes. The Legal Intelligencer.
- Byrne, Josh J.T. (2013). Prior-Knowledge Provisions and Reporting of Claims. The Legal Intelligencer.
- Byrne, Josh J.T. (2012). Defending a Wrongful Use of Civil Proceeding Claim.
- Byrne, Josh J.T. (2016, July) When legal Malpractice Becomes a Disciplinary Matter, The Legal Intelligencer
- Westport Insurance Group
- St. Paul Fire & Marine Insurance Company
- Minnesota Lawyer's Mutual Insurance Co.
- Monitor Liability Manager, Inc.
- Drexel University College of Medicine
- Prime Healthcare
- CNA Insurance Company
- Arch Insurance Company
- Feingold v. Hendrzak, 2011 PA Super 34
- Lanzilotti v. Greenberg, 2011 N.J. Super.
- Hayes v. Donohue Designer Kitchen, Inc., 2003 PA Super 84
Honors and Awards
- Co-Chair of the Professional Guidance Committee of the Pennsylvania Bar Association for 2018
- Vice chair of the Pennsylvania Bar Association’s professional liability committee
- Chair of the Pennsylvania Bar Association Professional Liability Committee beginning May 12, 2018
- "He showed the utmost of professionalism, competence, integrity, and compassion. He is a first rate lawyer who I would recommend to anyone."
- "I cannot tell you how impressed I am with my attorney, Josh Byrne, Esquire. It was Mr. Byrne's efforts that allowed this claim to settle prior to me even being served with a Complaint. Mr. Byrne contacted me numerous times along the way and always kept me in the loop."
- "It was a real pleasure working with Josh Byrne, Esquire. He is quite a professional. He handled the claim with a great deal of patience and wisdom."
- "I wanted to compliment you as well as thank you for your hard work and taking the lead on this case. It certainly made our work a lot easier."
- "I cannot tell you how impressed I am with my attorney, Josh Byrne, Esquire. It was Mr. Byrne's efforts that allowed this claim to settle prior to me even be served with a Complaint. Mr. Byrne contacted me numerous times along the way and always kept me in the loop. I just wanted to let you know how impressed I was with Mr. Byrne and his efforts."
- "I am grateful that this matter is favorably concluded and wish to take this opportunity to thank both of you for what I consider excellent representation in this matter and obviously, a favorable result."
- "Thanks for all your help. I felt well represented. Please congratulate Jeff and Josh as I think we really won...Best regards."
- "All is well...you did a kick ass job on the case. From an adversary position you were great. One of the most thorough lawyers I have ever faced, including some very folks with high opinions of themselves."
- "Your knowledge of your topic/s and presentation of your materials was impressive and interesting...Thanks again for all of your help."
- "Words cannot express how much thankfulness we have for your efforts and news. Thank you."
- "Continuing legal education is a major part of the life of an attorney and your effort enhanced the effectiveness of those who attended your program. Thank you, again..."
- "...I wanted to commend Josh Bynre on his efforts on my behalf. He showed the utmost of professionalism, competence, integrity, and compassion. He is a first rate lawyer who I recommend to anyone."
- "These attorneys should be acknowledged for a job well done! Thank you."
- "As a personal injury trial attorney with almost 40 years experience I believe I am in a unique position to appreciate the exceptional work of Mr. Byrne...his excellent presentation of the law and the facts carried the day."
- "It was a real pleasure working with Josh Byrne, Esquire. He is quite a professional. He handled the claim with a great deal of patience and wisdom. He had to balance the personalities of at least 5 different attorneys, each with incredible ego's, and did so with the sophistication expected of a more seasoned litigator. I really appreciated his going beyond the call of duty to protect our firm's interests in every aspect of this somewhat complex matter. Josh is a real asset...Thank you."
- "You have been wonderful counselors and advocates."
- "To put it briefly, I am glad you were representing our firm and we were not the plaintiff’s firm in this matter. Your attention to the medicine, stealth cross examination, and attention to minutiae and detail is what won this case."
- "This case was and is, incredibly difficult for me and Mr. Byrne handled it with knowledge, experience and a lightness that made me feel as if everything was going to be ok. He was right about that and my case is very close to the final settlement documents being signed. Mr. Byrne always responded promptly to my emails and calls, even over weekends and holidays although I never expected that of him. My questions and concerns were never ignored, nor were they treated as insubstantial. I always felt as if he had my back and that made this entire process bearable. I could honestly put the case in the back of my mind because I knew that Mr. Byrne was on top of it. Thank you for assigning him to my case. His kindness and compassion will never be forgotten. He is the type of attorney that anyone in the legal system should be so lucky to have."
- "Get outta town! You guys are geniuses. "
CONTACT Josh J. T. Byrne
/ (215) 299-4369 (phone)
/ (215) 299-4301 (fax)