MICHAEL A. COGNETTI is a partner in the Philadelphia office. He has been with the firm since 1989. Mr. Cognetti’s practice spans the five counties of Southeastern Pennsylvania through Northeastern and Central Pennsylvania. He represents governmental entities, financial institutions, and insurance companies in litigation and alternative dispute resolution forums. He has handled and tried cases in many of Pennsylvania’s sixty-seven counties and has served as trial counsel in over one hundred jury, non-jury and arbitration matters.
Mr. Cognetti is a member of the Pennsylvania, Philadelphia County, Chester County, Montgomery County, and Delaware County Bar Associations. He is a member of the Pennsylvania Defense Institute. Mr. Cognetti has been on the Disciplinary Board for the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania’s hearing committee since 2003. He serves as a neutral arbitrator and as a Judge Pro Tempore for the Court of Common Pleas in Philadelphia.
Mr. Cognetti has published on the topic of motor vehicle law, including motor vehicle and bad faith issues, by the PDI and PA UM/UIM for Chester and Montgomery Counties. He has also had the opportunity to lecture on these topics first as an Instructor with Defense Update and again as a Seminar Instructor to Temple Law Alumni and the Pennsylvania Bar Institute.
Mr. Cognetti was born and raised in Scranton, Pennsylvania. He received his B.S. in Accounting from St. Joseph’s University and his J.D. from Duquesne University School of Law. At Duquesne, he was President of the Bar Association and received the Pennsylvania Lawyers’ Auxiliary Scholarship for overall contribution to the school.
Areas of Practice
- Insurance Defense
- Insurance Law
- Civil Trials
- 1989 Duquesne University School of Law Pittsburgh, PA J.D.
- 1984 St. Joseph's University Philadelphia, PA B.S. Major: Accounting
- Delaware County Bar Association
- Chester County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Montgomery County Bar Association
- Disciplinary Board for the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania hearing committee, 2003 – 2009
- Prior Member of National Basketball and Major League Baseball Players' Association
- Pennsylvania Defense Institute
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Third Circuit Court of Appeals
- Motor Vehicle and Bad Faith Issues
- Pennsylvania Defense Institute, 1990-2017
- PA UM/UIM claims for Chester and Montgomery County, 2002-2004
- Rother v. Erie, 2012 Pa. Super, 228
- Davis v. Philadelphia Sport and Social Club, 987 A.2d 1274 (Pa. Commw. Ct. 2010)
- Burno v. SEPTA, Pa. Commw. Ct. 2015
- Upper Dublin Association Youth Basketball Coach
- Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company
- Allstate Insurance Company
- Farmers Insurance Group
- Scottsdale Insurance Co.
- Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority
- New Jersey Manufacturers
- New Jersey Transit
- Practical Aspects of Personal Injury Depositions; PBI 2010
- Defense Update
- Instructor, Chester and Montgomery Bar Associations
- Update on Motor Vehicle Law Seminar Instructor, Temple Law Alumni, Chester & Montgomery County Bar Associations
CONTACT Michael A. Cognetti
/ (215) 299-4302 (phone)
/ (215) 299-4301 (fax)